Wednesday, January 14, 2009

thing 2

This is a lot of information to take in at once. I felt obligated to learn 23 things as part of my job, but it was all a foreign concept. (Children is grade school would have a better idea of what's going on these days.) However, this is the 21st century and technology is forever improving to extravagant possibilities.
In reading John Blyberg's 11 Reasons why L2 exists and matters presents the challenges librarians could expect from patrons. I was stumped with the'blog' until my husband explained it simply as a soapbox online. This is quite a learning experience.
Looking up online via wikipedia to get some sort of definition of the tools we will be learning has also been overwhelming. I didnot realize that Blogs have been around since 1992 and that there were different types which confirms what my husband was trying to explain to me. Personal, Corporate, Questions, By Media Type, By Device and By Genre. There was also a definition for the Community and Cataloging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog#Types
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up Flickr-that's been around since 2004 and is known as one of the earliest Web 2.0 for web services suite & online community with image and video hosting website.
YouTube was created in February of 2005 by three former PayPal employees. YouTube is videosharing website where useers can upload, view and share videoclips. I've always heard bad things about YouTube and have never bother to visit the site.
PBWiki or PeanutButter Wiki operates on a freemium basis and this will be another site that I will need to learn more about. http://blog.pbwiki.com
As for now, I'm hoping that this is not as scary or intimidating as when I started. There is so much technology out in the world, it doesn't surprise me when someone has a neat techno toy. I never imagined being able to take pictures with my phone, let alone go outside and use a phone in the car. I guess this is what the 21st century is all about...changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment