Friday, January 23, 2009

Thing 3

It's a BIG world out there and learning about search engines and directories just extended this point. I did not like Technorati because for this first timer it was intimidating. I began on the day of the inauguration of our 44th president. Everybody is a writer. I wanted to learn more of what a Search Engine means, and came to http://websearch.about.com which broke it down in terms of a technology's standpoint. About.com Internet for Beginners (http://netforbeginners.about.com ) provided What Are The Good Search Engines?, since this is very important for employees of the libraries to be informed. They listed five major "search engines" for their massive catalogs of information. (Sorry Technorati was not there, yet.) Yahoo's Directory, DMOZ.org and About.com are three major "search directories that stood our for their voluminouse catalogs". The above information was founded 1/20-21/09.
It's all a matter of comfort and this is outside my comfort zone. I agree with the question of "which search tool is the best?" should be "which search tool do you prefer to use?"
I like the ones with the least advertisements, and of course, I need to adapt to changes.
I'm finding this time consuming, but perhaps it will become second-nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment